(Chicago) – Summer is struggling to show itself in Chicago this year; so, Vital Bridges wants to help push summer forward with a healthy, tasty, summer dish: Italian Summer Squash.
From the folks at the Connecticut Food Policy Council, the Italian Summer Squash recipe is heart healthy and has only 110 calories per serving and goes easy on the wallet at only .25¢ per serving.
Here’s what you need to know:
|2 tablespoons||vegetable oil|
|1||summer squash (large, thinly sliced)|
|salt and pepper (optional, to taste)|
|1 teaspoon||sweet basil, fresh|
|6 tablespoons||Parmesan cheese or Romano cheese (grated)|
1. Using a large, ovenproof frying pan, heat 1 Tablespoon of oil to medium high.
2. Arrange squash in pan, add water and season lightly with salt, pepper and basil.
3. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until tender crisp.
4. Sprinkle with cheese and drizzle with remaining oil. Place under a preheated broiler and broil until cheese melts and browns slightly.
5. Add cut up fresh tomatoes, green peppers, green beans, eggplant, onions, or other vegetables in season.
6. Serve, eat, and enjoy.
Per recipe: $0.98
Per serving: $0.25
Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )